Applying for Long-Term Visit Pass?

This is a rough guide on the eligibility and requirements of the different passes of family members. Note that we are not employment agents or experts and laws may change over time.

If a foreigner in Singapore with a work pass (EP/SPass) wants to bring their legal spouse and/or child along, they can just apply for a Dependant’s Pass with the relevant authorities.

There may be some family members of foreign expats who don’t qualify for the Dependant’s Pass. They’d need a long-term visit pass to live in Singapore.

  • Non-legal spouse
  • Unmarried step-child (under 21)
  • Unmarried handicapped child (over 21)
  • Parents

A foreigner is only eligible to apply LTVP for the above, if they have:

  • Any of the following: Employment Pass (EP), S Pass, Personalized Employment Pass (PEP), EntrePass
  • Fixed monthly salary of at least S$6,000. Sponsoring parents, at least $12,000.

Mother/grandmother accompanying foreign child(ren) on a student pass in Singapore, may apply for LTVP under the “Long-Term Visit Pass for Accompany Mothers / Grandmothers for Student Pass Holders” scheme.

Note that restrictions apply to only the LTVP holder (mother/grandmother of child).

For Singapore Citizens (SC) or Singapore Permanent Residents (SPR), the following people can be sponsored for the LTVP:

  • Foreigner, whose spouse is a SC or SPR
  • Foreign born child (< 21 years old) whose parent is an SC or SPR.
  • Parent whose child (> 21 years old) is an SC or SPR.

The Long-Term Visit Pass-Plus (LTVP+) scheme is for foreign spouses of Singapore Citizen (SC) or Singapore PR. The LTVP+ gives foreign spouses of SCs a longer period of stay.

All other LTVP schemes give an average of 2 year’s stay in Singapore. In some cases, up to 3-5 years, but all applications are evaluated by the ICA on a case-by-case basis. LTVP holders are generally not allowed to work unless they hold a work visa or the employer applies for a Letter of Consent (LOC) – available to some Dependant’s Pass holders and LTVP holders.

Next step: Apply for PR

If you or your family members have been here on an LTVP for a while, they’d realise it’s a real hassle being on LTVP. Tedious renewal every two years. Conditions and regulations to meet and there is the danger that LTVP may not be renewed.

The next step would be for LTVP family members to apply for PR, or even better apply together as a family for everyone who is not already a PR/Citizen. They stand a higher chance on their PR application when the entire family plans to stay in Singapore permanently. With all family members on PR status, the restrictions and insecurity of being tethered to the Long-Term Visit Pass will be gone.

If you would like more information on how we can assist with applying for a brand new LTVP, or help in your PR application,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s